Saturday, May 7, 2011

New Fence

Now that the weather is a little nicer the neighbors are out for their evening walks. Panther thinks it is fun to hide behind our large pine tree and then spring out at them - barking loudly! He gets a lot of excitement out of this. The neighbors...not so much. :-(

Mr. Grey had the idea to put up a buffer fence to keep the dogs back 10 feet or so from the main fence. We took the dogs outside, showing them the new fence. Everything went well until...a small dog walked passed our house. Panther was off like a shot. Straight through the buffer fencing. Thank goodness the fencing is only plastic or Panther may have been hurt. That idea lasted all of 30 minutes.



Do any of you have problems with your dogs barking at passers by? Maggie could care less, but Panther thinks it is a game. He did not do this last year. If you have any ideas, please let me know. I don't want people to complain or think that Panther is a "mean" dog.



2 comments:

houndstooth said...

I'd take Panther for some obedience training, and give him a command to do something he knows (sit, down, watch me, whatever) instead of bark at passers by. Perhaps you could go out with treats and call them. If he doesn't come, he gets to watch his sister eat a treat because she got there first. Basically, you're going to have to get something that's more fun than his game.

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Oh dear, Panther has a wicked sense of humour:) My guys can't get into my front yard so I don't have this problem. If they could I'm sure Frankie would do his best to let the world know another dog was walking past his house too! And I'd find it a bit annoying. So if you can't stop them from getting in the front yard I agree with Houndstooth, you're going to have to find something else that is more rewarding for him to do. Good luck, it probably won't be easy!